AWS or Amazon web services is a cloud computing vendor which manages and maintains hardware and infrastructure needs, which enables organizations to save money and efforts to purchase and maintain all infrastructure over premises. These services are provided on a free or cost-per-user basis.
To understand how big AWS stands for, AWS is a technology that enables one of three websites you visit over the internet.
Mission of AWS
Very famous quote named by now CEO of Amazon andy Jassy,
“Invention requires two things:
1. The ability to try a lot of things and 2. not having to live with the collateral damage of failed experiments.”
AWS built on an idea where it gives freedom to developers and startups to experiment with ideas and if it doesn't work out, they shouldn't be worried about the damage.
Brief History of AWS:
- 2003- Chris Pinkham and Benjamin Black present a paper on what Amazon’s own internal architecture should like. They prepared a case and suggested selling it as a service.
- 2006- AWS officially born.
- 2010- Amazon.com moved over to AWS
- 2012- First Re-Invent conference(annual conference help by AWS which showcase all new developments and services)
- 2015- AWS become the lead player in the cloud market and growing at 60 % year on year
- 2019- AWS launched close to 100 services in areas of Storage, Analytics, Computing, Networking, etc.
AWS Global Infrastructure:
As of 2021, AWS has 25 Regions over 6 continents and 81 Availability zones available to serve all customers.
Additionally, it also operates what is known as 200 edge locations as part of its flagship AWS Content Delivery Network (CDN).
In addition to this public infrastructure, AWS also provides services to various governments in few special regions. Two regions are designated for use by those working in and for the U.S. government so-called AWS GovCloud. There are also two regions in China, which are operated by local qualified companies under Chinese law and regulations. All of these regions’ availability zones and edge locations are tied together through AWS’s private high-speed fiber-optic network.
Advantages of AWS Services
- Security: one of the most secure, extensive, and reliable cloud platforms
- Global Availability
- Pay as you go, model
- Customer Service
Companies using AWS
- Johnson & Johnson
- Capital One
and many more…..
For more articles related to AWS, stay tuned!